Wednesday, May 25, 2016

#LoveWarns


In 21st century America, the greatest virtue is tolerance and intolerance is the greatest vice.

In a bygone era, to "tolerate" someone or something meant "to put up with" him/her, "to endure" the situation. This tolerance was often accompanied by a sense of weary resignation.

Nowadays, however, tolerance is to be served with a side dish of acceptance or approval or even applause. We are told that to do anything less is to be a "hater."

This was recently made evident when a transgendered teen wanted to be crowned prom queen in his local high school. Although born a male, he identified as a female and wanted to be treated as such.

This person gained "media darling" status through a local newspaper columnist's articles and Facebook posts. Those who took issue with his desire to be prom queen were called "ill informed, uneducated, scared bigoted individuals" and "hateful and disrespectful people."

The prom queen controversy is only one example of the tyranny of the New Tolerance. A year ago when the Supreme Court re-defined marriage, the reaction was quite the same. Anyone who stood for traditional marriage was criticized as being homophobic and judgmental. No allowance was given for a person to object on moral grounds. Any objection was deemed to be hate.

Now, I believe that Jesus means it when He tells me not to judge others. I believe that He means it when He tells me to love others, also. But nowhere does Jesus tell me to sacrifice my principles and convictions on the altar of tolerance. He certainly didn't.

Jesus teaches us not to judge people. But He doesn't teach us not to warn people. Warning is a loving act. "Don't touch the hot stove." "Don't play in the street." "Don't do drugs." These are warnings that we give to the people we love the most, our children.

As a follower of Jesus, it's my responsibility to warn people of danger. This is especially true if they are in danger of sinning against their God, which can cost them their eternity with God. In the words of St. Paul, "I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children" (1 Corinthians 4:14).

I often take issue with the direction our culture is going in its swift drift away from the teachings of God's Word. However, as Jesus has taught me, no matter how much I might question a person's choices, it's never my place to judge. Because of my own moral failings, I have no right to do so. I am in no position to throw stones.

Nevertheless, although it is not my place to judge, it is always my place to warn, in all humility and compassion. Genuine love can do no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment