Sunday, May 22, 2016

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

"Please, won't you be my neighbor?" That question from our childhood friend Mr. Rogers is one that is still being asked today.

In a world of cyber communities, Facebook friendships, and digital dating, our social needs still go unmet by the social network.

To me that means there are people all around us who are asking the question, "Please, won't you be my neighbor?"

Won't you be the person who lovingly listens to me?

Won't you be the one who faithfully cares about my fears, my uncertainties, my insecurities?

Won't you be the friend who joyfully celebrates my victories with me?

Won't you be the one who kindly comforts me when I'm hurting?

Won't you be the companion who patiently spends time with me?

Won't you be the one who gently mourns with me?

Won't you please be my neighbor?

Jesus taught us the value of neighborliness when He gave us the second greatest commandment. The most important command, according to Jesus, is to love God with all we have. The second most important is to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

And lest we be tempted to try to figure out who is our neighbor so that we can also determine who isn't our neighbor, Jesus tells us that our job is act in a neighborly manner to anyone who needs a neighbor.

Next time you are at the office or at the store or in your neighborhood, be mindful of the folks around you. Take notice of their demeanor, their tone of voice, their body language. See who is silently asking, "Won't you please be my neighbor?" It could even be that the person who is the most exasperating is the one who most needs your neighborly care and compassion.

Won't you be their neighbor?

No comments:

Post a Comment