Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Too Taboo for Jesus?


Are there topics that the church should avoid. Issues so divisive or controversial or personal that they are not fit for sermon or Bible study or discussion group?

What might some of those topics be? Substance abuse? Personal finances? Anything to do with sex?

Some in the church community might be inclined to shy away from these issues. Perhaps they believe that a follower of Jesus doesn't wrestle with these concerns. Or perhaps they consider these topics inappropriate for Christian conversation.

Whatever the case may be, the church can't be in denial of the reality of sin and the toll that it takes in the lives of believers and non-believers alike. That means that the church is THE PLACE to have these conversations.

First of all, when it comes to who we are as human beings, the biblical worldview will trump the secular worldview every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. The biblical worldview is rooted in the conviction that people are created in the image of God. If that doesn't inform and influence how I treat others and myself, I don't know what will.

Instead of simply being the results of an evolutionary accident, I and all around me are the handiwork of almighty God. There is a sacredness to human existence that is not to be violated. This has implications for the value of unborn life, how people view human sexuality, how I treat others, and how I treat my own body, to name just a few.

Secondly, the biblical worldview teaches that we are here to be stewards of the resources God has provided. That means nothing belongs to me. It's not "my" time. It's not "my" talent. It's not "my" treasure. These are not "mine." They belong to God. They are put under my management, and I am answerable to God for how I manage them and use them for His glory and for the good of others.

A secular worldview would argue "the survival of the fittest," "the law of the jungle," or "The one who dies with the most toys wins." The biblical worldview would say, instead, that the goal of life is not the pursuit of wealth or pleasure or power. Rather, my goal each day is to glorify God and serve those around me, using the resources entrusted to me to the best of my ability. To manage them as God would.

The church needs to bring its biblical worldview and wisdom into the conversation. There is a generation asking big questions about purpose and meaning and existence. They are wrestling with issues of human sexuality and values and morality. They want to know who they are and why they are here and what happens when all this is over.

All of these questions are vital. And none of them are taboo for Jesus. Nor should they be taboo for His followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment